07 January 2011

Discombobulated

I learned a few things over the past two days.

1. Access to cheap, fresh vegetables after my neighborhood market has been closed for 10 days inspires a frenzy in me similar to a pre-teen at a Jonas Brothers Concert.

mise en place

2. It is exceedingly difficult to cut garlic into a fine julienne when one's hands are shaking from hunger.

3. A simple winter stir fry of cabbage and mushrooms, tossed with a sauce of black and white soy sauces, fish sauce, and a touch of sugar, does wonders for a head cold.

4. The citizens of Seattle are lucky indeed.

winter salumi

We enjoyed a dinner last night of crusty baguettes, good pecorino, and two salume from Salumi Artisan Cured Meats. Cured meat was a revelation the first time I visited Europe, and while I've enjoyed the occasional bite of prosciutto (and even one ecstasy-inducing bite of jamón ibérico de bellota) since I began eating meat in March, I've had no more than a spare whiff of salumi as I wrapped it up as a gift to family.

Needless to say, between the head cold and the salume, there hasn't been much actual cooking going on. This weekend, though, things may change. There will be tacos if I have anything to say about it.

1 comment :

  1. Anonymous10/1/11 22:46

    (sigh) I wish I could eat your pictures.

    ReplyDelete