20 August 2011

Jiggedy-jog

There's something to be said for simultaneous refreshment and frustration. After a fantastic 10 days visiting my parents (and an old friend from high school), I returned home, only to contract a nasty virus on the plane ride home. I limped my way through the short week at work and am sniffling, coughing, and sneezing my way through the weekend. Alaska, as always, was a blast. We climbed mountains.

lupine over stephens passage

sunny valley

full dome

devil's paw

tracy arm reflection

climbing down to gastineau peak


We saw ice ...

icy sailing

big bergs

nugget falls mist

south sawyer glacier

ice peaks


 ... and water ...

hole-in-the-wall falls

tongass rain

mountain stream

nugget falls 


 ... and quite a few animals.

harbor seal

marmot

porcupine butt

 (That's a porcupine, by the way, but he was on the move.)

black bear cub

bald eagle


 We also ate a lot of good food, but I didn't take any pictures. Halibut tacos; pea purée (this time with mushrooms, as a topping for pasta); seared coho salmon; and the best fried chicken I've ever made, if I do say so myself. We introduced Mike to zucchini patties and my mom to Swiss chard; we ate spring rolls, crusty pizza, and other hometown favorites; and we made three quarts of ice cream with cherries and dark chocolate stracciatella for my dad. It was fun—in some ways, I could have stayed much longer. Given that they had record-breaking rainfall the two days after we left, though, I suppose it was time.

goodbye!


 Coming soon: red pepper panini, and the mushroom tart-that-almost-wasn't.

No comments :

Post a Comment